Vision & Mission Statement
The Department of Environmental Quality is a team of environmental stewards who serve with integrity, empathy, and transparency and who are inspired by the responsibilities they are entrusted with.
A healthy, sustainable environment for our future generations.
The Department of Environmental Quality honors the Community's cultural heritage by protecting, conserving, and restoring the Community's environmental resources.
Gila River Indian Community Department of Environmental Quality has developed a strategic plan to guide its actions for the coming years. Participants in the process believed that the cultural heritage of the Gila River Indian Community must be woven into everything the Department does. Relationships – both internal and external – are seen as key to the Department's long term impact. This includes sharing their language, values, and knowledge.
An inclusionary and participative process was used to affirm or re-create departmental values, vision, and mission statements, as well as identify strategic priorities and long-term goals. The end result was a new values statement, new vision statement, and the identification of five strategic priorities and the long-term goals for each priority.
The strategic priorities are:
- Workplace Culture
- Cultural Awareness
- Gila River Environmental Education Center
- Seamless Integration of Technology
- Scientific and Advisory Panel
TRIBAL ENVIRONMENTAL PLAN
- Develops the complete picture of the environmental issues that currently challenge the Gila River Indian Community,
- Establishes a shared understanding of the issues and environmental priorities the Community is and will be working on during FY15, and
- Provides a shared understanding of these issues and priorities that EPA will continue to assist the Community with in order to protect human health and the environment.